A national symposium for Geography and STEM
AGTA is proud to be a joint supporter of a national symposium for Geography and STEM.
The visibility of Geography in the STEM field and its contribution to STEM education. The symposium is part of an actioned response to a recommendation in the strategic plan Geography: Shaping Australia’s Future (National Committee for Geographical Sciences, 2018). The symposium co-chairs are Dr Grant Kleeman and Susan Caldis; panel presenters include Dr Karen Joyce, Kimberley Parnis, Professor Ian Rutherfurd, Dr Kate Selway and Professor Michael Solem.
>> Please see the flyer for further information.
The national symposium is proudly sponsored by the following professional associations:
• Australian Geography Teachers Association (AGTA);
• Geographical Society of NSW (GSNSW); and
• Institute of Australian Geographers (IAG).
AGTA Conference 2021 Announced
Plan ahead for an amazing national conference you will not want to miss!
The next AGTA Conference will be held at the Crowne Plaza in Hobart, Tasmania. With so many opportunities for pre- and post-conference activities this destination will be sure to attract many attendees from all parts of Australia and beyond.
Key dates to record are Wednesday 29 September to Friday 1 October 2021.
>> Register your interest
Professional Learning Package
GTANSW & ACT is excited to announce a digital Professional Learning Package for flexible use in schools in Term 4, 2020. The theme is Planning for 2021 and will contain presentations with a focus on teaching approaches, resources and tools that can be integrated into programs during the review and planning process that occurs in Term 4 in most schools. These will include Creativity in Geography; Design Planning; Building Cultural Capabilities; Geography as a critical intelligence and how we can teach capabilities in a transdisciplinary context; Integrating spatial technologies, new resources.
The Digital Learning Package is open to Geography Teachers across Australia. Members of State and Territory Associations can use their membership to get members rates.
>> More details
Add your content here
Geographical Education: The Innovative Geography Educator
The contents of Geographical Education Volume 32, 2019 include
- Geography and STEM — Susan Caldis and Dr Grant Kleeman
- Out-of-field Teaching in Geography — Susan Caldis and Dr Grant Kleeman
- Aligning Mapping Skills With Digitally Connected Childhoods to Advance the Development of Spatial Cognition and Ways of Thinking in Primary School Geography — Emeritus Professor Margaret Robertson, Associate Professor, retired Alaric Maude and Dr Jeana Kriewaldt
- Integrating GIS in Experiential Fieldwork — Dr Sarah Digan
- Teaching Higher-Order Thinking and Powerful Geographical Knowledge Through the Stage 5 Biomes and Food Security Unit — Associate Professor, retired Alaric Maude and Susan Caldis
- Book Reviews
>> Download individual articles
Geography: Shaping Australia’s Future
Geography: Shaping Australia’s future was prepared by the National Committee for Geographical Sciences and presents the state of play of geography as a discipline in Australia. It provides a unified vision for Australian geography over the next decade.
The plan offers a framework for engaging research, teaching and industry that aligns strategically with contemporary social, economic and environmental challenges of our region.
A key recommendation of the decadal plan is "... that the Australian governments at all levels better understand how geography as a discipline enhances complex, multi-sectoral policy decisions by integrating knowledge across natural and built environments, society and the humanities through its unique perspectives of space, place and the environment."
>> Download decadal plan summary :: Download the decadal plan
Pre-service Geography Teacher Starter Pack
The Australian Geography Teachers Association (AGTA) offers pre-service Geography teachers the opportunity to access three essential teaching resources at a considerable discount on their recommended retail price.
All three resources (Geography Fieldwork Unlocked, Geography Skills Unlocked-revised edition and Geography Literacy Unlocked) are available for the heavily discounted price $115.00.
>> Further details
>> To Order – Email: email@example.com or Phone: 02 9716 0378
Geography Fieldwork Unlocked
Geography Fieldwork Unlocked features 34 inquiry-based fieldwork activities developed by a team of experienced Geography educators.
- Section 1 of the book introduces the reader to inquiry-based fieldwork. It provides guidance in developing fieldwork action plans, research methodologies, and data collection tools and approaches as well as guidance on the presentation and communication of fieldwork findings.
- Section 2 features nine fieldwork activities for primary students (Years F/K–6). Each of these activities has been designed to develop students’ conceptual understanding and the skills associated with inquiry-based learning.
- Section 3 showcases 25 fieldwork activities aligned to the topics studied by students in Years 7–10.
- Each fieldwork activity is framed by one or more inquiry questions. They also feature: a statement of expected learning; a list of the equipment needed to successfully complete each fieldwork activity; a short introduction; background information that contextualises student learning; pre-fieldwork activities; and detailed step-by-step instructions on how to complete each fieldwork task.
>> Submit order
Geography Skills Unlocked — Revised edition
Geography Skills Unlocked (Revised Edition) is a skills book for Australian secondary schools.
- Contents aligned to the inquiry and skills-based requirements of Australian Curriculum: Geography
- An engaging, easy to navigate design
- A student friendly approach with step-by-step explanations, descriptions and worked examples
- A focus on emerging technologies used to gather, analyse and present geographical data
- GeoSkills and GeoInquiry activities that scaffold student learning
- A wealth of stimulus material including a diverse range of maps, graphs, aerial photographs, satellite images, diagrams and photographs
- Examples drawn from each Australian state and territory with additional international material
- Key terms explained in embedded glossary boxes
Geography Skills Unlocked is published by the Australian Geography Teachers Association and written by a team of experienced Geography teachers.
$39.95 each + postage
>> Submit order
>> Download Answers to Geography Skills Unlocked Questions (81.2MB PDF)
Geography Literacy Unlocked
Geography Literacy Unlocked has been written for secondary geography students seeking to improve their literacy skills. It includes a focus on written, visual and oral literacy.
Geography Literacy Unlocked is published by the Australian Geography Teachers Association and written by Dr Grant Kleeman. One of Australia’s leading geography educators.
- An engaging, easy-to-navigate design
- A student-friendly approach featuring step-by-step explanations and annotated exemplars
- A focus on the basics of effective written communication – spelling, punctuation, tense and the use of connectives
- Descriptions of the principal text types used in geography, supported by annotated examples
- Guidance for writers in quoting, paraphrasing, summarising and referencing the work of others
- A focus on the responsible use of social media
- A comprehensive coverage of the principal forms of visual and oral texts students encounter in geography
- Templates or scaffolds to support the interpretative skills students are expected to demonstrate.
Cost: $29.95 each + postage
>> Submit order